After the disastrous incident with the ratatouille, I was more than certain that if I told Mr. Right and the kids knew what was really in this cake, they would mutiny.
Walk The Plank.
So I had to be extra sneaky.
That’s who I was.
HAH! They never saw it coming! They had no idea it was a super healthy cake.
Just like Cindy Brady in the Secret Admirer episode.
Remember? The episode where Cindy is all super depressed and so Bobby decides to spice up her life and send her secret admirer notes and necklaces and stuff? And then she wants to meet the secret admirer and so he has to pay his friend Petey or Jimmy or Dickie, whatever that kid’s name was to meet with Cindy and be the secret admirer and then Cindy is all super weird with her pigtails pinned up pretending to be Lady Gaga or someone. So Petey/Jimmy/Dickie tries to get the heck out of dodge and then Cindy realizes her weirdness is scaring the pants off this kid so she whips the bobby pin out of her hair and starts to play like a normal kid and Petey/Jimmy/Dickie declares her hairdo ‘Neato’.
Bobby gets discovered in his lie when Petey/Jimmy/Dickie gives him back the blood money 50 cent piece that Bobby gave him to play Cindy’s admirer and Mike & Carol are standing right there!
The Brady kids were such liars.
“I know Joe Namath”
“I know Davey Jones”
“Those aren’t my cigarettes”
You can’t hardly tell it is whole wheat flour.
It gets even harder to detect when you mix it with cocoa powder.
Throw some cinnamon in for good measure.
You can replace some of the oil with applesauce.
Since I saved so much fat and calories with the applesauce, I decided to add chocolate chips.
I halved the recipe and made it in an 8 x 8 because I did not want to be stuck with as much leftover zucchini cake as I was ratatouille.
Kinda hoping the zucchini will dissolve into the cake, thus making it undetectable.
Well folks, they ate every bit. It was gone in less than 24 hours.
So I asked Mr. Right if he liked it.
And I am all evil villain laughing inside.
Me: ‘It was zucchini cake’
Mr. Right: ‘I know’
Mr. Right: ‘You left the recipe on the counter’
And I was found out.
Right in front of Mike & Carol.
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil (Use 1 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup oil if you want)
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts ( you can sub chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the eggs and oil, mix well. Fold in the nuts/chips and zucchini until they are evenly distributed. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting with your favorite frosting.